Monday, October 23, 2006

am I the center of my life?

I'm sitting here on my futon, absorbing my daily dose of news from The New York Times. My room smells of lemon-lavender. The space heater is humming as it oscillates and warms my room. I am nice and toasty. It is cold and uncomfortable outside. This is when I just love being in my room.
"The conflict in Darfur began when black African rebels took up arms in early 2003, accusing the government of neglect. Khartoum responded by arming and financing Arab militias who conducted a campaign of violence against civilians that the United Nations has called ethnic cleansing and the Bush administration has called genocide."

You can read more about Darfur here.

As I read this, in one of the many articles in today's New York Times about Darfur, it hit me that when this conflict began, I was in my freshman year of high school. Now I am a freshman in college. In 2003, I was worried about a number of things being a 14 year old girl... like what I was going to wear that day to school to make people like me more, whether or not I was going to choke giving my speech in my speech class where I met my first real high school boyfriend, and if I was going to be good enough to play soccer on the Valley soccer team with all these other girls who played Select all their lives, unlike me. See, I was a very preoccupied girl. I had lots on my mind, didn't I? I remember being very obsessed with what other people thought of me. I was learning that my behavior and choices could either make or break my reputation. I was mad I wasn't in the popular crowd, I was sad that I had to be in the hospital for 3 days because of kidney stones, I was scared to be myself around almost everyone at school, I was proud of my 4.0 at the end of the year, and..... I was completely oblivious to affairs having to do with anything or anyone other than myself.

It's true. I didn't know anything about Darfur then. I barely do now, but I at least have some knowledge about what's going on.

I guess I am just a little astounded that 4 years ago all of these problems started in Africa, and I was concentrated on... my problems. Not that it's bad to deal with the stuff that's going on in your own life, but, I just feel like that's ALL I did. And, some of the things that happened in 9th grade were kinda big deals, like my hospitalization, but... most of them were not. Most things were just stupid. But that is to be expected when you're 14, is it not? well I'm 18 now, and I just think that if I'm still acting the same way I did when I was 14, something needs to change. I definitely pay attention to world affairs more, I mean heck, I'm going to minor in Political Science and I'm currently taking a class in International Politics. A lot of the time, we spend the class period discussing current events like things having to do with Iraq, Iran, North Korea, Darfur, and Hezbollah. Anyway, so I don't think I still have the perspective of a 14 year old, but I think there are still days that go by where all I do is think of myself.

When I read about these things in the news, I guess I just realize how important it is to open your eyes. But, I don't know... I think caution is necessary too. Like, for example... it's good to not be sheltered and naive... if I'm hanging out with people and some of them or most of them are going to start drinking, I can stay and hang out with them and still not drink, but if I know that it is really hard for me to say no and I feel tempted very easily, then I should probably leave. I would exert caution in a situation like that, it's necessary. Otherwise, I could end up making a bad choice because I didn't remove myself from a tempting situation. I have to KNOW that going into it though. You have to think about those things before you just dive in. I think it's kind of a spiritual maturity issue. Jesus hung out with prostitutes and drunkards, didn't he? Yeah, true, but that's not an excuse for us to do the same and then use it to justify our sins when we fall into temptation.

So, basically... I think it's important to open your eyes to what's going on in our world. Read the newspaper, watch the news on tv, listen to the radio, whatever you do to get your news. BUt just do something. How can we pray for all the nations of the world when we don't even know what's going on in them? I think the deeper we understand the conflicts and problems of countries like Sudan and Chad, the more we can spread our knowledge to others and help to further the love of Christ. Maybe by knowing of these things, people will be spurred on to be missionaries in some of these places, maybe we can start a revolution. I know I want to go to China someday. I really, really do. and I felt it in my heart when I was at Salt one night, when they had a bunch of people talking about their experiences going to places in East Asia and such. so maybe that will turn into something, maybe it will bring more opportunities, i don't know. I think if you truly seek to spread the love of Christ to all ends of the earth, God will get you there. He's in control.

Just a few things on my mind today. Erin and I are going to play some soccer at the Lied rec center in a little bit, YAY! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Em - you certainly are a deep thinker. I loved reading your blog. Lemon-lavender? Stay warm and cozy and leave room for me in your blanket!