Friday, March 14, 2008

singin' about what's real to me.

What is home anyway?

Is it where you come from? That's not really a home. More like a lion pit as I remember it. It's sturdy and provides shelter of course, and it has beautiful surroundings, but as money is lost so is the building that we only possess as our home because of money. No money, no longer home.

Is it the dorms at college? Your floor bonds by having drinking parties and beer pong tournaments in the designated "party room". Someday you will get caught, someday it will be called alcoholism and it will destroy your family and your children. Or maybe your dorm really is your home, maybe the people there really do care. But you'll be moving out eventually. Probably in a year or two at most. Temporary.

Is it the place I'm staying now? A temporary basement apartment off campus with a family of 5? It's everything a home should be. It smells like one. It sounds like one. It's filled with love and craziness and the in-between. And yet, it's just temporary too.

What is home? Why do I feel homeless? When will I have a real home?

Tell me that.

No comments: