Monday, September 25, 2006

I can do the Merengue!

Random:

my dream car once i have lots of money and can buy my own car: an Acura TL, or, an Acura TSX.

I am obsessed with Jesse McCartney's song, "Right Where You Want Me." I have it on repeat right now. P.S. Jesse McCartney is a good lookin' fellow.

I did horrible on my first midterm, which happened to be in the worst class I'm taking which I hate with everything that is in me-- Geology 100. Kill me, please. I got a D. (I don't get D's.......ever). I guess I can't say that anymore though, huh?

I want to go to China on a mission trip. I guess Jon Kalvig (new college ministry guy at valley church), is going sometime and has been there before. so I think I'll just go with him... haha.

I also want to go back to Belize!!!!!!!!!! seriously it's my life goal to go back there someday.
---------------------------

ok, no more random stuff. the past few days have been pretty great. well, starting with last friday night... funny story, I was watching tv in my room and I guess I just fell asleep on the futon at like 5 pm, and... didnt wake up until 10 pm! ahh! a friday night! i totally missed dinner too. so i woke myself up, had a cup of tea, tried to keep myself up, then gave in and went to bed by 11:30 haha. i am so not the party animal i thought i would be. in fact, i haven't been to one party since i've moved to college. this can be seen as good, or bad, i choose to see it as neutral and just move on from that fact, lol.

Saturday morning I met up with my fellow Hixson scholars outside the Memorial Union at 9:30 a.m., we loaded up in our vans with our recitation groups (there are about 10 of us and we have 2 leaders, one is a sophomore and one is a junior and they were also Hixson scholars). I was still waking up, and i felt a little uncomfortable being packed into a van with my group, whom I still didnt know very well at this point. but, seize the day i suppose, eh? I was going to be spending 9 hours with them that day at Camp Hannesa (sp?), so might as well make friends and have a good time. So, that's what I did! We did a ton of stuff. let's see here.... learned how to play flippy cup with a root beer keg (it was hilarious), and had a big competition between all of the groups (there are 8 groups in all). The whole time we were in the main dining center of the camp, they had sweet tunes blaring, all the stuff you hear on the radio these days from Chamillionaire to... I dont know, just everything haha, rap, hip hop, it was great, helped make it seem more like a party than a required activity for school. Then we did a bunch of funny "individual" events, like chubby bunny (one guy fit 24 or 25 marshmallows in his mouth... holy cow...), and being blindfolded and finding a piece of bubble gum amidst whipped cream, starbursts and other candies in a pie tin then being the first one to blow a bubble. very entertaining. we did outside things too, like tug of war, which I hated. haha. then the most ridiculous game ever, where one person wraps pantyhose around their forehead and inside the pantyhose is an egg, so the egg hangs down right in front of your forehead pretty much. then one person sits on their shoulders and has a rolled up newspaper... object of the game? run around and the person sitting on the other person's shoulders tries to break other people's eggs by hitting everyone else in the face as hard as they can.. ahahahahhahaa. it was AWESOME. one of our guys, Josh, who is pretty big and strong, was our egg guy, and I sat on his shoulders and held on for dear life and swung as hard as i could and hit people in the face... lol, it was hysterical. AND, we ended up getting 2nd place, it was down to me and another girl on this other guy's shoulders...and she got Josh's egg to break completely right before I got the other guy's to break. so yeah, it was SWEET. definitely raised the morale of my team, haha, because we had sucked at all the other games. We did a bunch of other fun games back inside... we played "skin the snake" which was awkward and fun, lol, and our team rocked at it. we also did the games where you have to pass the orange from person to person with your chin/neck, so you look like youre making out with that person... it was great. haha. we also had to pass a cucumber with our knees, and pass a stick of celery with our elbows. it was extremely hard and entertaining, mostly the orange, but yeah, good times. we all felt a little closer after that... haha. umm, what else... oh, this boring one where we had a bunch of shapes taped on the floor, and we had to fit our entire group into the shape without touching outside of the lines... it was really easy once we got a good strategy. then we had some free time, so I played volleyball with a bunch of people and that was fun.

THEN... the best part of the day! They had a professional dance teacher come in and teach anyone who wanted to, to learn how to dance the merengue (sp)!!! it was AMAZING! my friend Brittany and I partnered up b/c we didnt want to be with any of the guys haha, and we were both really good at it so it worked so well and we had a BLAST. the teacher said we should have been teaching the class... lol. i was so excited when we finally put all the steps together and could do it to the music for a long time and just have fun! it was fantastic. THEN, they had 2 people come in and teach us how to swing dance... and there are many different types of swing dancing, so this kind was East Coast swing dancing! it was freaking cool. haha and the teachers made the "leads" switch partner every now and then, so I got to dance with a bunch of guys... lol... some cute, some extreeemely cute. some were awful dancers, but a few were fantastic! so it was fun. and i got to dance with one of my leaders, Jesse, haha, and it was super fun :-). the best part of the dances is the dipping part, its so cool, and looks so freaking sweet. so I now know how to merengue and do east coast swing! it was SO MUCH FUN, and the rest of the night we couldnt stop dancing so we had dance parties during dinner, haha. My team won the scavenger hunt, so we won a free ice cream partyyyy... yay! after dinner, we all had clean-up duties, so my group sweeped the entire dining room floor, then we headed home to ISU. overall, it was a fantastic day. I got a lot closer to my group especially, and a few people in particular, which is really exciting for me because I need new friends here! haha.

I got back to my room around 7:15 that night, then my mom picked me up and brought me home to West Des Moines. I showered, then relaxed and hung out with my parents until Aubrey came over. Aubs and I hottubbed and talked for two hours, until like 12:30. it was WONDERFUL. one of the best conversations i've ever had with someone I think... I don't know why, but Aubrey and I have a way of ending up talking about really deep, spiritual things and they are just amazing talks. Sunday morning I woke up at 10, worked on homework for a few hours, then showered. THEN..... surprise! SAM came over!!! so I got to sit with her and talk for an hour and catch up on things... it was simply fantastic. then I got my things ready, and headed back here to ISU. I spent most my evening NOT doing any homework that i should have been doing, haha, and talking to Adam, Zach, and Aubrey for a long time. it was great. love them.

Today was a good day. it just was :-). Except for the fact that my cough is WORSE and at night I basically cant stop coughing for a really long time, and i wake up throughout the night because i have to cough... :-(. it sucks, not gonna lie. Tonight was wonderful! Erin, Catherine and I drove to Blinks coffeehouse to hang out and eat dinner with Brandon Barker, Jon Kalvig, Heather, and.... JEN!!! my old small group leader/mentor, friend, and pretty much my hero!!! it was so great to see her and catch up. it made my day. brandon barker was the other part that made my day, because I just love him to death, he has got to be one of my favorite people on this earth. haha. we got a TON of FREE STUFF!!!! haha.. free stuff... is awesome. basically, I got a life-time supply of hot cocoa mix, a SWEET nalgene bottle w/ the epoch college ministry logo and a myunderground.org, silver carabeener. also, two t-shirts, the surge icamp 2005 tshirt and a tie-dyed tshirt from rosebud. i will never say no to free tshirts! i also got 3 free awesome books, i forget the titles.. but they look gooooood, and i might just read them if i ever have the time to read anything other than textbooks.. lol. OH! and i got a valley church MUG! and it's GREEN. oh my gosh, i just get so overjoyed about free stuff. I love Brandon. haha. I also actually talked to Jon Kalvig this time and he is such a cool guy, I can't wait to get to know him better as my college ministry leader! and obviously I'm going to China with him, so, yeah. :-)

I wrote this as I was taking a break from studying for my poli. sci. 251 midterm... which is tomorrow at 9:30 a.m.! now i have to get back to studying, because i will be extremely upset if I don't do well on this test. like... extremely, extremely. the stuff is just so complex and all these terms like realism, liberalism, neorealism, neoliberalism, contructivists, postpositivism, empiricists......ahhhh!!!! and thats just a fraction of one chapter, and i believe this test covers 4 or 5 chapters. yeah. good stuff. i dont know, i just hope i can pull myself together for this, because i need to do well on something or i think i will just drop out of college... lol, ok, no I won't, but... grrr. i've felt kind of discouraged lately in school. :-( anyway, back to studying I go!

Love.

p.s. still listening to Jesse McCartney!

1 comment:

Jennifer VM said...

Sniff! It totally made my day to see you on Monday! Thanks for the blog shout-out. I'm very impressed with your merengue skills, you'll have to demonstrate sometime.

Love you lots!