Wednesday, April 18, 2007

violence, terror, death, it's everywhere...

So much going on around us… sometimes I feel like I’m in a tiny bubble that’s keeping me from knowing what’s going on in the world outside of my bubble. I’ve been glued to my t.v. this week, watching news of what’s going on, stepping outside of my comfortable little bubble. And it’s scary. This mass shooting at Virginia Tech is disturbing and alarming and.. just absolutely terrible. You don’t wake up and think that you might be at risk of some kid going on a killing rampage on your college campus, a place where you just naturally trust is a safe place for you to live and to go to your classes. You just don't think about that. And nobody thinks it will happen to your college campus, until it does. I cannot imagine the pain the students, faculty, victims, and parents of the victims of this massacre are feeling now. When Pres Bush addressed the nation on Monday about the shooting, he mentioned how every person in America who is apart of a community and apart of an educational institution feels affected, and feels their safety is violated when these things happen. It's so true. It's awful. My mom called me in tears that night just wanting to hear my voice because it's so scary to her that it could've happened to her kids, it could've happened at the campus of Iowa State University- you just never know.

In other news...

Nancy Pelosi and other lawmakers met with President Bush today to discuss a bill congress is working on regarding the war in Iraq. According to Pelosi and majority leader Harry Reid (is that his name?), they had a good discussion with Bush and things seem to be on track to hopefully getting troops out of Iraq, holding the Iraqi government responsible, and funding the war, along with other such issues that Democrats and Republicans alike are aiming to resolve. In my opinion, I think we should forget what a liberal thinks versus what a conservative thinks about this war, and be pro-active in keeping the nation's security in mind as we decide what actions to take in getting troops out of Iraq and continuing to fight against terrorism. I know it's complicated, but, that's what I think.

More news...

A bomb threat at the University of Minnesota at Minneapolis happened just a couple hours ago…. Ridiculous. How can anyone make a bomb threat in the wake of such a tragedy like the one at Virginia Tech? It’s beyond me. Also, Lawrenceville Prep School in NJ was put on lockdown today as a student was arrested for possible possession of a weapon….turns out it was a pellet gun, so that situation is over now. And apparently, there were incidents in 7 states yesterday with lockdowns and heightened tensions following the Virginia Tech massacre… it's all crazy.

So, there was also a big issue with a Supreme Court decision today regarding abortion...

Today, with a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court upheld the ban on what is called a late-term abortion or a partial abortion. They’re saying that Justice Alito, who replaced Sandra De O’Connor (who was usually the swing vote in support of abortion), voted in the majority to make this way of abortion illegal. This is definitely a victory for the Bush administration. Personally, I am definitely in support of this decision. I don't think it goes against the Roe v. Wade decision, because it deals specifically with a type of abortion not just the issue of abortion itself, which in the Roe decision focuses on the constitutional right that a woman has to privacy and to her own body. I will stand by my personal opinion that the Constitution is the law of the land and should be respected, but I hold that abortion is wrong because it is murder- black and white, very simple. But I don't want to get into that... pretty much, the Supreme Court decision today was big!

More news...

Over 180 people were killed by a car bombing in a central Baghdad market today, mostly women and children. Amazing how much death we're surrounded by...

“bad guys do bad things.”- a reporter. I just thought that was an interesting statement.

That's all I've got for now. Shalom.

No comments: