Monday, May 07, 2007

one ring to rule them all

[free from one heartache, yet enslaved to another
i don't think it will ever end, really.]

it's just interesting how much you want something to stick around, but at the same time, you want it to go away. life is full of paradoxes like that.
---

I'm watching "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" right now.... it's at the part where Aragorn bids adieu to Frodo as Frodo realizes he can't trust anyone and must make his way to Mordor solo. Sooo good. I haven't watched LOTR in quite a while... but I can still quote almost every line of it. I know, I'm a big nerd.

I began reading a book today that was a gift from my lovely sister. It's called, "The Gospel According to Tolkien"... and it's freaking awesome so far. I've been a fan of Tolkien ever since I read the LOTR Trilogy, starting when I was in 8th grade. Then I obviously saw all of the movies multiple times (and by multiple... I mean... probably more than 50 times), and I also read The Hobbit, then The Silmarillion. Next I began reading "The Lost Books" by Tolkien, which consists of I think 6 books that he wrote all about Middle-Earth, and I'm still only on the first one. Anyway, I think Tolkien was a genius. I love his views on Christianity and learning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis (who I also love to read and read about). Anyway, this new book I started reading today is all about how Tolkien clearly centered LOTR around Christianity with all of its symbolism, yet purposefully wrote the story to be without religion and only indirectly points to Christian theology and ideas. It's fascinating. You should read it if you have an interest in Lord of the Rings and/or Tolkien (umm, how could you not...).
---

I hate knowing that I NEED to do something, yet not wanting to do that something at all.
I hate that the way I am makes it such a struggle for me to do certain things that I would consider most people perfectly capable of doing with no struggle at all.
---

I am going to change my major at ISU. I'm going to change it from Journalism & Mass Communication to a major in English with a concentration in Rhetorical Studies, and have a double minor in Psychology and Political Science. Complicated? Of course, it's me. What else would you expect? seriously.
---

Well my movie is over, so I'm going to bed now. Peace out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

funny you should mention that book...
my creative writing teacher referred to it today as she got us started on our final project: writing our own myth!