Monday, May 21, 2007

"A Tale As Old As Time..."


Disney movies were my childhood. They weren't just "apart" of my childhood, they WERE my childhood. Many years later, now they are known as the Disney classics. I love them the same now that I'm a college kid as much as I loved them when I was 8.... if not more now, and for different reasons probably. Getting older, I've come to understand that these movies have their flaws... but what doesn't? It can be pointed out that most of the Disney classics have negative things in them like alcoholism, single parents, murder, orphaned kids, death of a family member, etc., but I think those things are ultimately what make these movies more realistic... because let's face it, they're fairy tales and stories of lions who talk, a prince being put under a spell to look like a beast, a magical genie that comes out of a lamp, a mermaid kingdom living in the sea, a magical land called neverland where no one ever grows up... I mean this stuff is pure fantasy. Plus, I don't know about other kids, but when I was a little kid, I never noticed the pirate Smee excessively drinking rum in Peter Pan, or any of those things that pop up in Disney movies. I took notice of them when I got older, but by that time I knew that they were just apart of the movie, and also that they are unfortunately things that come from real life. So, to me, Disney movies like Aladdin, Beauty and The Beast, The Lion King, Peter Pan, and The Little Mermaid, are always going to be thought of as an amazing collection of stories that taught me pretty much everything I need to know about life and every moral lesson you will face.

I mean, I could go through EVERY movie and analyze every lesson I learned from it, and it would make this blog be like 80 pages long because there are just so many!

Good always triumphs over evil, no matter what.
Beauty comes from within, and appearances can be deceiving.
Running from problems is not solving them.
Never forget who you are.
Everything happens for a reason.
The grass isn't always greener on the other side, in the end.
Jealousy leads to destruction.
Good always comes out of something bad, you just can't always see it right away.
Don't give up, keep persevering.
Anyone can make a difference in the world.
You can do anything you set your heart and mind to.

Those are just a few main themes off the top of my head.


Beauty & The Beast is undoubtedly my FAVORITE Disney movie of all time, for so many reasons. I love all of them sooo much, but this one is my pick for best Disney movie ever. I love it for its themes of love and beauty, unforgettable characters, great moral conflicts, beautiful music, balance of dark and lighthearted plot elements, and everything else that goes into it. It's my favorite "lesson" out of all the Disney movies, with a close second coming from The Lion King. The lesson of Beauty and The Beast can be found first in the opening narration lines:

"Once upon a time, in a faraway land, a young prince lived in a shining castle. Although he had everything his heart desired, the prince was spoiled, selfish, and unkind. But then, one winter's night, an old beggar woman came to the castle and offered him a single rose in return for shelter from the bitter cold. Repulsed by her haggard appearance, the prince sneered at the gift and turned the old woman away. But she warned him not to be deceived by appearances, for beauty is found within. And when he dismissed her again, the old woman's ugliness melted away to reveal a beautiful enchantress. The prince tried to apologize, but it was too late, for she had seen that there was no love in his heart. And as punishment, she transformed him into a hideous beast and placed a powerful spell on the castle and all who lived there. Ashamed of his monstrous form, the beast concealed himself inside his castle, with a magic mirror as his only window to the outside world. The rose she had offered was truly an enchanted rose, which would bloom until his 21st year. If he could learn to love another, and earn her love in return by the time the last petal fell, then the spell would be broken. If not, he would be doomed to remain a beast for all time. As the years passed, he fell into despair and lost all hope. For who could ever learn to love a beast?"

Ugh, seriously...... it's the best. I love it. Ok, I'm tired so I'm gonna go to bed now. Love!<3

No comments: