Monday, August 07, 2006

a portrait of resistance

As I sit here and behold gray and purple clouds with my eyes, I think only of a deep desire to crawl underneath my covers and remain there just long enough to sleep through Moving Day. Maybe I'm just having one of those days, but I simply don't want to go to college. I don't feel good about moving all of my belongings to a new, tiny living space, just like every other freshman will be doing, therefore diminishing my orginally-excited feelings even moreso, seeing as there are bajillions of kids everywhere doing exactly the same thing as me and feeling either exactly the same way as me or the complete opposite. Hence, I make a big deal of something that really isn't one, so an apathetic feeling buries inside of me and is content and does not want to leave. In this case, I would rather just sit back and glide over silver clouds in the dreams of a sleeping child. I would rather find myself in the body of a child who does not throw any notice to the winds of change, for the changes of childhood are slower and lack the punch-in-the-face feeling of the changes in the life of someone like me. Perhaps my desire to hide from the inevitable things of life means I am still immature, I am not ready for what is to come. Or, perhaps my ability to observe such desires and interpret them mean simply that I am behaving in a completely natural way any 18 year old young person with such big changes upon them would behave. Or, maybe I am out of my mind and stupid.

Whatever the case may be, I don't want to move out of my house and my lovely bedroom. I don't want to sleep in a new bed for an entire year and eat food that was not cooked by my mom. I DO, however, want to expand my knowledge of the ever-changing world of academia around me. That never changes for me for some reason...

1 comment:

Ryan Tow said...

I'm so glad you started blogging, Emily. Your writing is deep, though, and makes me realize how shallow my blog is . . . .savor the upcoming time. August of 1992 was one of the most exciting months of my life, and I'm sure that August of 2006 will be the same for you.