Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Who's in college now?

I'm in college now. Catherine and I moved in yesterday, and my second night in Ames is almost at an end. I don't know why I'm so tired... but I am. Maybe it's all the walking and stuff, I need to get used to it all. Yesterday was exciting as we organized basically all day and got ourselves settled in. Our room isn't huge, but it's not as tiny as Erin & Jamie's mouse-hole of a room last year either. I don't really care how big it is, as long as I feel like I'm home, you know? In all honesty, I love our room... but it's just not home yet. When I am alone and in my room, I find myself yearning to be back in my house on Glen Oaks Way, just a mile away from the Quenzers and in the heart of the booming developments of West Des Moines. I received a text message last night from my wonderful friend Aubrey and it almost made me cry because she said she needed me and just feels like crying because I've left. That sums up how I feel right now about everyone I think. So, needless to say, I'm feeling a little lonely without my loves back in West Des Moines, Urbandale, and Waukee. Everyone (Erin, Jamie, etc...) keeps telling me that in a couple weeks this (being Ames) will feel like home, so I will just wait it out until that happens. I hope it does.

I sound kind of melancholy, but don't think I'm not having tons of fun up here... because I definitely am. I love eating the meals at the udcc with my friends and it's been fun meeting all the guys and girls on my floor/house/dorm and surrounding areas. Lots of people have popped their heads in and introduced themselves and stayed for a while to talk. Tonight I felt really awkward though because like 6 or 7 guys came strolling into our room and sat down and started talking to me and Catherine... I don't know why, but it just took me by surprise or something. I don't know, I'm stupid, like I didn't think that this is how people meet each other at college?... I guess it's just weird to me, I mean I feel like I knew everyone back home, 'cause I did pretty much haha. But here it's like a whole new world and it's sort of overwhelming at times. And plus, I'm such an outgoing person with a fun-loving personality... this should be fun and easy for me, but I find myself wanting to just be by myself at times when I should be popping my head into my floormates' doors or something. I'll get into the swing of things in no time, but right now I'm just trying to take everything in slowly and not get too overwhelmed...

Yesterday was fun! Catherine came back to the room with Ben Bjork and her friend Kevin, so we hung out here and Ben helped me clean up my laptop, haha. Then we walked Ben and Kevin back to their dorms, over in Roberts and Linden, about 15 minutes away. I slept really well last night, partly because I was exhausted and partly because my bed is amazing haha. I absolutely love it. It's squishy and comfy and cozy and my comforter is micro-suede and to die for! haha. This morning we woke up around 10 and took our time getting ready for the day. We ate lunch at the udcc and then drove over to Target and picked up Austin and Andrew to take them back to their dorm at Larch. It was nice seeing those boys, 'cause I've missed them. Then me and Cat went back to Target and bought some things we realized we needed but didn't have when we moved in yesterday. We keep thinking of things we need, lol. Ben, Steve and his roommate ate dinner with us tonight at the udcc, and it was deeeelicious. I then left them to hang out with Zach & Mike.... yay!!!! I love those guys, I absolutely adore them. We walked around campus for a really long time, then they showed me their dorm... which I LOVE! It's so homey and spacious, it's rather big actually... they're on the ground floor so it's nice not having to walk up 4 flights of stairs, haha. We hung out there for quite a while and I enjoyed a mountain dew while putting together poetic sentences with their refrigerator magnet word things hahaha it was SO entertaining you have no idea! Their regrigerator looks AWESOME now! lol. Then we walked back over to my dorm, ate some popcorn, then chilled in Jamie & Erin's dorm and talked to Aubrey on the phone haha. Heard from Natalie and Sam as well, which made me soooo happy. Afterwards, we parted ways. I came back to my dorm, and they went to go do something else I suppose. Basically they made me feel so much better about being here, I'm happy when I'm with them and I don't even care that they make fun of me all the time and Zach has a horrible nickname for me... haha.

Tomorrow is going to be fantastic. Aubrey, Alex Beem, Bry, Mitch and Kayla are all coming up to visit us... Aubs is spending the night... I CANNOT WAIT :-).

I think I'm going to go to bed now... I'm rather tired. Goodnight. Hey. I'm in college now...

No comments: