Wednesday, October 10, 2007

this I promise you

I'll be the first one in a room full of people to admit I don't do the right thing all the time. I'll also be the first one to say, but I try... I try my hardest. I think it's impossible to not pay attention to my feelings and emotions, but I think it is possible to not let them win over the intention to do what is right. God doesn't look at us without looking at our hearts. Our hearts matter. The whole issue is that we are human, limiting our understanding of the heavenly realm, of God. But we strive always to not let our humanity pull us downward and further away from God. Because... let's be honest, the fact is that humanity is full of a bunch of people who sin day in and day out, so that sin is going to ultimately widen the gap between us and God. I think the biggest thing that makes humans human is our ability to feel, because it is unlike any other creature on this planet. The center of our brain is the limbic system, which is all about emotions, and also in the very center of our brain is the thalamus, which is all about pain and pleasure. That's my point. God made it that way. But he also made us so that our heart is in our chest and it is separated from the brain that is in our head.

I have to make an effort to go with my head and not JUST my heart. Zach, we've had this conversation many times over I feel. I struggle with it. I just do. I'm a human AND I'm a girl, that's two strikes against me already. I have to separate the two. I can feel and be emotional and also be rational and think clearly, and remember all the wonderful things I know to be true that I learned so that when these situations come up that test me, I can use that knowledge and fight off the attack on my heart... because that is my weak point. I know God's promises are true. I know my worth. I know my strength. I know my faith is going to get me through this. Now all I have to do is choose to believe these things and incorporate them into my heart so that I don't remain a complete emotional mess. the END.

psych test now. bye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can do it. I believe in you. And love you.